Omaha
8:08 am
Thu February 27, 2014

All students accounted for after fire at UNO dorm

OMAHA, Neb. (AP) — Firefighters responded to a two-alarm fire at an apartment dormitory on the University of Nebraska at Omaha campus Wednesday afternoon.

The fire was reported shortly before 3:30 p.m. Wednesday. All students affected by the fire have been accounted for.

Flames could be seen shooting from the roof of one of UNO's Scott Village student apartment complexes, located on the university's Pacific campus at 64th and Pacific streets.

UNO spokesman Charley Reed says displaced students were asked to go to the Scott Conference Center next door to the apartments or to nearby Mammel Hall.

Parents of UNO students can call 402-778-6211 for more information.

There's no word yet on the cause of the fire.

The Scott Village student housing complex is made up of four-bedroom units, each with a kitchen.

In a statement, UNO Chancellor John Christensen says "We have quickly moved to assess the short and long term needs of the displaced students.  We will continue to do whatever we can to ease this very difficult situation. President Milliken and our Board of Regents have been very helpful and have offered to assist UNO however they can. I want to commend the courage of the students who had to evacuate and the leadership and service of the Omaha Fire Department and the Omaha Police Department."

Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.