Omaha Public Radio News
3:24 pm
Wed April 29, 2009

Health officials: don't panic about swine flu

Omaha, NE – Health officials in Douglas County say there's no reason to panic following the diagnosis of a case of swine flu.

A San Diego, California man is in isolation in Omaha, recovering from a case of swine flu. The Douglas County Health Department says the man arrived in Omaha late last week to visit friends. He became ill and went to the hospital Sunday. Health Department Director Dr. Adi Pour says the man is out of the hospital and being treated with antivirals.

The man was reportedly in contact with only a few people. Dr. Pour says those people are in a voluntary quarantine and are also receiving antiviral treatment.

She says the public has no reason to worry about contracting the swine flu. Dr. Pour says the precautions the public should take are the same as with any other flu virus: wash your hands, cover your cough and stay home when you're ill.

The Nebraska Department of Health and Human Services announced Thursday there are two additional probable cases of the swine flu. One is in a 19-year-old Missouri man who is hospitalized in Omaha for treatment of another ailment. The second is in a Sarpy County woman in her 60s. She's recovering and in isolation.