Omaha
7:24 am
Sat December 21, 2013

Investigators blame Omaha fire on space heaters

OMAHA, Neb. (AP) — Omaha fire investigators say a mobile home blaze the killed two children was likely caused by space heaters.

The Omaha Fire Investigation Unit says Friday that space heaters were used throughout the home, including in the living room, where the fire began.

Investigators determined a smoke detector was in the home's kitchen but wasn't working because it lacked a battery.

Police say 3-year-old Gabriel Rodriguez and his 3-month-old brother Brandon Rodriguez died in the Wednesday morning fire.

The boys' 18-year-old mother, Champaine Harn, and their sister, Adrianna Rodriguez, remained hospitalized but were expected to survive.

Witnesses said a neighbor tried to rescue the boys but couldn't make it past the intense flames.

Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Tags: