MECA reaches agreement with the City of Omaha and ballpark committee
Omaha, NE – The Metropolitan Entertainment and Convention Authority has reached an agreement with Omaha Mayor Mike Fahey and the Stadium Oversight Committee. MECA Chairman David Sokol and Mayor Fahey announced the agreement Tuesday morning.
No details are available about the agreement. However, Sokol says it clears up several of the concerns MECA had. Last week, several MECA board members expressed concern about a proposal from the city. That proposal dealt with control, construction, management, parking and traffic issues. MECA claimed the city wanted to control future development of Qwest Center property.
Mayor Fahey says those eminent domain concerns have been addressed in the new Memorandum of Understanding. The new agreement also allows MECA and the City of Omaha to jointly develop the former Pinnacle site for parking and a possible new downtown hotel.
The MECA board still has to vote on the Memorandum of Understanding. That vote is scheduled to happen at their April 14 meeting, when more details will be released.
Click on the link above to hear Tuesday's press conference with Mayor Mike Fahey and MECA Chairman David Sokol.